This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing volunteer programme at Amnesty International South Africa (AISA). As a volunteer writer, you are responsible for writing and editing stories, features and articles, which will be published either on the AISA website or monthly newsletter.
Having a knack for writing is a given, as well as a passion for human rights and international relations. A degree in journalism or communications is highly desired, but not necessary.
The primary objective of the Volunteer Writer is to inspire new supporters to engage with Amnesty International, as well as inspire greater commitment with current members and supporters, leading to an unstoppable movement of human rights defenders.
- Generating ideas for future stories and features, in line with AISA’s website and newsletter themes, messaging and voice.
- Reading and researching features and articles.
- Verifying information and interviewing sources.
- Writing, editing, proofreading and subbing text.
- Creating and maintaining a network of contacts.
- Meeting and liaising with other team members including the Media and Digital Content Officer and the Membership and Growth Officer.
- Complying with AISA’s style guide and content guide.
What You’ll Need
- Excellent written command of English
- Experience in writing high-quality content (volunteer or formal qualifications)
- Be driven, self-motivated and have the ability to work effectively and meet deadlines
with minimal supervision.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple writing
assignments, when required.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative team environment.
Duration and Time Commitment:
- This volunteer position requires a minimum commitment of 3 months with a minimum of 3 hour a week (this can vary according to demand e.g. deadlines).
What you’ll Get
- A chance to work with a global human rights organisation and an awesome volunteer team.
- Ongoing training opportunities and mentoring by an Amnesty International staff member.
- Amazing writing experience which will set you apart from the rest in the job market.
- Continued guidance and support.
Download the document below for more information on the volunteer position.